Monday, June 1, 2015

Happy to Be Here, Proud to Serve

Yesterday David was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant aboard the USS Green Bay. Today he left for deployment again for the next few months, so I was lucky to be able to be there to experience it. Eisley helped me put his new shoulder-boards on with his new rank.  When I was a new military wife, I tried to not dwell on David's military service because I never really wanted it to be the defining thing about our life or our marriage. I wanted to have a life separate from the military; but as the years have gone on it has become more and more apparent to me that it is a lifestyle and not just a job. I can't say I have loved every minute of it, but I also wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. It has brought us a lot of places and experiences, and has given us a new understanding of the world, culture, and politics. I am so proud of my husband for his dedication, bravery, strength, and determination to make a difference. I am so impressed with his leadership skills and desire to be a force for good. I know now that it isn't just about having a job that makes money, job security, or recognition; it is about protecting what he believes in and caring about something bigger than himself.  If we as military wives are afraid to be vocal and proud of our spouses, why would we then expect Americans removed from service to be patriotic, and to believe in our military? I am so thankful for those who serve, and I believe they deserve every bit of recognition they can get.
When David was asked to say a few words he simply stated: 
"I'm happy to be here, and proud to serve" 
Congratulations David, I am so proud of you!






3 comments:

  1. Congratulations David! Ashley, what a beautiful, heartfelt, patriotic message! May we stand united in gratitude for those that sacrifice and serve to protect freedom and peace around the world every single day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the thumbs up from Eisley on her mom's back while Ashley and Dave are hugging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the baby on the back! And congrats David and I am loving all your Japan pictures! Thanks for documenting it for us state side folks stuck in Jacksonville!!!! - bethany thompson

    ReplyDelete