Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Okinawa Part 1

Eisley and I had the opportunity to fly down to Okinawa and meet the ship while they were in port for a few days. It was so good to be able to see David a little early and get a little extra family time in. Okinawa is beautiful and the weather was great while we were there. It was really fun to see a new place and a different part of Japan.
Some of the beautiful Islands we flew over (and an active volcano)
Mochi with a Kyoho grape in the middle. Eisley loved it!
The airport in Okinawa was overflowing with all of these beautiful Orchids!!! I thought I packed light, but I just had to laugh at the random Japanese person that checked their drink coolers as checked baggage. When you fly on a plane in Japan all the overhead compartments are completely empty, I guess I found out why!
Treats at the Okinawa airport. On the far right is a cookie like dessert with a Sweet potato filling. Pineapples and sugar cane are both grown here.
 When we finally made it to White beach we were just in time to meet David. Eisley was super shy at first, but she remembered who he was and didn't waste much time before going into full on play mode. She loves being with her daddy!!!
The view of the ship from our "backyard"


Since David still had to go to work every day we would hang out with him at night. We went to Yohi's for sushi and it was so much fun! I especially loved the california roll covered in avocado. Okinawa is so americanized compared to Sasebo, so it is nice to be able to go to a real sushi place (not just sushi go round) and be able to read the menu. 
I wanted to be as close to the Piers as possible since they are kind of removed from the main areas of the island. I was able to book one of the MWR getaway duplex's. It was perfect because I could see the ship out my window and David could walk back to the ship each night when he needed to report back. It was fun watching them offload the LCACs. They also had little log cabins and campers available to rent. 
Our little home away from home
Eisley found David's cover
David had Duty on Saturday so we weren't able to see him. Instead we picked up Carol and went to the Okinawa Churaumi Aquarium. 


Of course what makes this aquarium special is the massive tank (1,981,000 gallons) that is home to three humongous whale sharks, manta rays, dolphins, and other sea creatures. We were able to each lunch at a table right next to the tank which was pretty impressive!
The view from our table

They also had a really fun dolphin show which had a lot of "tricks" I haven't seen in the states. One of my top ten cutest Eisley moments happened at the dolphin show. Before it started I was trying to keep Eisley entertained by playing patty-cake and asking her for high fives. The stadium was completely filled with hundreds of people. Suddenly right after Eisley gave me an awesome high five the entire stadium erupted in applause. The dolphin trainers had come out to start the show, but Eisley thought they were all cheering just for her. She looked around at all the people clapping in amazement with the most adorable proud smile on her face. I really wish I had caught it on video. I will never forget the look of pure wonder on her face, and I love that this little girl believes she deserves the applause of an entire stadium full of people.
Eisley and Carol, and Eisley mooching treats off a little Japanese family


The seaside park also hosts a couple different beaches and other attractions like a botanical garden and Okinawan village. We didn't have enough time to really see it all, but it would definitely be worth going back.
I love seeing this ship safe in port!
 Maps:
Yoshi Hachi
Okinawa Churaumi Aquarium
White Beach

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting about your adventures! Love reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures, I love seeing the sites, food, family pics, and all the cute videos of Eisley, she really puts the right perspective on how to enjoy life. I love her "dance off" with Daddy, showing him all the spins she learned while he was away.

    ReplyDelete